Saturday, June 9, 2012

State Park: Pontiac Lake Recreation Area #1 (Hiking)


Place: State Park: Pontiac Lake Recreation Area



Today's Activity: "Hiking" - but really just a walk

Duration: 45 minutes

Time: 9:30am on a Saturday.

The Experience: Now this is the park I know best of all. It's 5 minutes from my home and I've come here many times with Dad to walk Duke. 

The website says that "the park has 3,745 acres of a mixture of marshes, ponds, heavy forests, old farm fields, river bottom and lakes that support a variety of animals and excellent hunting."

In any case, let's start the tour with a video from the center of the park, which I frankly find the least appealing but that's just because I prefer the woods...





Standing in the center of the park, it's a wide, open space with LOTS of
picnic tables and BBQ grills, with the beach off just to the right.

The beginning of the walk - from the park, you can walk
1.8 miles to the campground.

What a good boy.

As usual, we didn't run into a single person during the walk.

Freshly mown. Great for my allergies. 

The bugs didn't bug me (heh) but the horseflies
were annoying Duke a bit.

Duke and I on the trail.

Getting back to the main part of the park, this gives you an idea
of just how much space there is for families to picnic.

Duke's equivalent to a water bottle.

It was Free Fishing Weekend! 

A view of the beach.... hardly anyone around!

Another shot of the park center.

I finally spotted one family with their kids out enjoying the
whole beach to themselves.

Did you know that turkeys like the beach, but not rules?

I seriously do not understand the presence of these turkeys.

A second pier for fishing.
The pier.
Duke is sad he didn't catch any fish



Video Tour 2 - other side of the park


Perhaps a father and son fishing? 

A family of swans on the lake.

A lovely spot on the far left side of the park.


Duke and I walking the perimeter.

Walking the perimeter... I guess I'll get in trouble eventually for not using a leash...

Duke found the secret path!

And then he found the second secret spot, but a happy
fisherman was occupying it. I said, "Happy Fishing!"

Overall, the Pontiac Lake Recreation Area is a great park because of the range of things you can do. If you simply want to swim or BBQ, the center part of the park and the lake are for you. If you are into mountain biking, the trails in this park are some of the toughest in Michigan (I read it in a guide book once!) and I can vouch for that because I tried it once and couldn't even complete it... it was rather frightening. In any case, it's a lovely park with something for everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment