Friday, June 8, 2012

State Park: Holly Recreation Area (Kayaking)

Place: State Park: Holly Recreation Area



The Experience
Today I was supposed to leave for South Korea, but instead I found out the night before that I could no longer go. 

Rather crushed, I made my way to the Holly Recreation Area and jumped in a kayak with my dad and found my spirits brightened. Serenaded by giant frogs accompanied by red- and orange-chested birds, you'd feel better, too.

The website states there are nearly 8,000 acres of woodlands and open fields, and you definitely get this impression as you are driving through the park - it was endless green in every direction and hardly a soul in sight.



Every now and again, there were parking lots at different lakes (or different parts of the same lake) for you to launch a boat. We chose this spot, where the only person we saw on the water the entire time was a lone fisherman.



Dad in his kayak.

It was incredibly serene on the water. Nothing but the sounds of animals and the occasional plop of a bass or bluegill that made a splash in the water. Dad loved to point these out.

Dad caught a fish maybe 10 seconds after casting, but it didn't
happen again for the remaining hour and a half we were on the water.

A wee bass... make sure you have your fishing license! 

I've never seen so many water lilies before.

A woodduck house that dad checked out. 

Not a bad view.

Just around the bend... I like to think I was herding the fish toward
Dad by going ahead and then paddling back. See him?

From the water, we saw 2 hikers, which led me to this trail.

Next time I go, I'm going to check out the hiking trails! 

The lily pads and seaweed got so thick that I couldn't go any
further at this part of the lake.

Two new cabins still under construction... they looked gorgeous
from the inside! Available to rent soon, I think.

Just left to the cabin, a promising looking trail :)

I usually still get lost despite the map...

Just behind the cabins, some picnic tables and fire pits
(parking lot just behind)

View from the cabin - not the greatest shot, too dark.


A short video of the first part of the lake- you could
continue around to another part which led to a couple
more little sections to explore. 


On our way out of the park, I bought a park pass for $10 for my own car which gives me access to all state parks until October (my car tag expires then). You can purchase this when you renew your tags and have access to every state park in Michigan for a whole year for less than what a lunch might cost you!

Overall, the Holly rec area is a fabulously green paradise where you can go out on the water, hike around, bike, fish, have a picnic, and a dozen other things listed on the website. We spent a good 90 minutes kayaking lazily about, but you could spend the whole day here doing different activities.

I plan to go back to bike and hike soon, and I'd like to try out that cabin for a weekend once it's finished!


For more information: click here to learn more about the Holly Recreation Area



No comments:

Post a Comment